Holly Jespersen, PR & Social Media Director
Connect with Holly on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/holly-jespersen/3/62/950
Shatterproof’s mission is to protect our children from addition to alcohol or other drugs and end the stigma and suffering of those affected by this disease.
1. How did you get started in social/digital media?
I have been in PR & Communications for almost 15 years and in keeping with the times, I started to get engaged with social media. Social Media has been a key part of our strategy to expand our outreach to young adults.
2. Can you share some of the unique opportunities and challenges of Social Media Marketing & Communications at a non-profit?
The ability to really reach people and engage with them during their time of need—really develop some personal relationships, is definitely a unique opportunity that social media offers.
A key challenge is that there is not enough time in the day to personally engage with all. Also with the nature of our cause-addiction-emotions run high and we have to be very sensitive in word choices and image selection. Tone is incredibly important.
3. Can you tell us about a non-profit campaign that really resonated with you? One that you wish had been your idea?
Of course the ice bucket challenge for ALS. I don’t know one non-profit person who does not think that was genius and that their organization had thought of it their selves. Brilliant campaign.
4. What forms of media do you currently use in your SM? Photos, Video, Audio, Infographic? Which ones are offering the best performance?
Photos and videos. We would like to begin to use infographics. I find graphic images to receive the best response from our audience.
5. How does Social Media help Shatterpoof further their mission to “protect children from addiction to alcohol or other drugs and ending the stigma and suffering of those affected by this disease?”
Using social media we are able to communicate the mission to a wider audience and really unite and empower Americans to join together in support of our critical mission.
6. Please share some of your favorite Blogs and Twitter handles with us along with a little bit about why they are your favorites.
It’s A Lush Life-my friend Alison Hudson’s blog (@lushlifeblog) and my other friend Amber Murphy’s Can’t Keep a Sober Girl Down (@CntKpASbrGrlDwn), TheFix.com (@_thefix), Veronica Valli’s Recovery Rocks (@VeronicaValli) and After Party Chat (@AfterPartyChat)
7. What is the best career advice you’ve received?
To take risks, be myself and don’t compromise my integrity.
Read more about Shatterproof and how to take action athttps://secure.shatterproof.org/page/signup/-weareshatterproof-pledge?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=share!